Sunday, November 30, 2008

Joy



my darling husband has one flaw: he hates christmas music. he chalks it up to working at a music store around the holidays. to me, it is just sick not to like christmas music. it is so joyful and light, even if you dont believe in Jesus, the words are hopeful and sincere; things that people can always cling to.

who knew my loving, wonderful, talented, sexy husband would hate the thing i love the most? well, not the most, but it's up there. 

but today as nay and i were on our way to ikea for some 'as is' shopping, he put on christmas music- and sang to me. 

i beamed.

i giggled.

it felt like we were dating all over again. 

it felt so wonderful that i almost teared up. i dont think he knows how important that was to me. i felt joy. not just happy, but a deep resounding joy that flooded my body. my lips felt it. my heart felt it. even my toes felt it. 

it made my day. it made this whole weekend amazing. it only took 15 minutes on the freeway to turn my whole weekend into joyful. dont get me wrong, it was a great weekend, but a lot of things are great. we talk about great service at restaurants, great food, great movies, great books. we dont ever thank our waiters for being joyful. we dont read books and think 'how joyful'. joyful is a sacred word. a personal word. it is like 'i love you'. there is reverence behind that word.

so friends, with all that being said, i hope you find joy. but most of all i hope you let it find you. let your husband sing you christmas carols. let your friends come to you in your time of need. make joy want to find you, because that is one of the things that matter. maybe one of the only things.

(this is Dustin Kensrue. his music is amazing, and his christmas album changed my husband. you should check it out: this good night is still everywhere)

5 comments:

the dirty, blue eyed one said...

very awesome. thanks for this.

p.s. i decided to start a blog. pass it on.

Christine Lee Smith Photography said...

What a great story.

And thanks for the Kensrue Christmas album note - so glad I know about it now. :)

Ashley said...

oh goodness. the ways i love Dustin Kensrue. chris played 'pistol' to me at our wedding and i just about fell over and died. must check out his xmas album.

Anonymous said...

what is "as is" shopping?

and the big headline picture is pretty freakin cute.

and i agree- any refreshing feeling of something that takes you back to the beginning of dating is exciting. i'm glad you guys still have those after all this time :)
-Katie

January Mamma said...

You are getting awesome at writing, I love it! Much love to you guys.