Saturday, May 9, 2009

i know

this is me and my mom:

literally, this picture describes our relationship to a 'T'. this picture was taken on my wedding day hours before i no longer belonged to her and i was about to be belong to someone new.

someone she didnt approve of.

someone she thought wouldnt make me happy.

but he does, and she knows that now. she has seen us grow and become adults together: get our first real jobs together, get our first place together, travel together, support each other,
almost move, start a college group, go to back to school, get our first dog together: the works.

with mothers day coming tomorrow, i realized my mom has come so far as a woman and as my mom. she respects me as a woman and allows me to make my own mistakes and learn from them. she rejoices when my husband sends me flowers and she is sad when we have a miscommunications. every time, and i do mean every time, we get off the phone she says: "send my love to nathan". she has come full circle from where she used to be when it came to my relationship with nathan.

she loves him almost as much as i do, and that took a lot of effort and a lot of courage. she knew that getting married so young would be hard on us. she knew that i would drop out of college if we got married. but she didnt know we would love each other as much as we do. she didnt know that being married to nathan is what i was made to do (amongst other things).

but she does now.

she knows, and i want her to know that i know. i know she has changed. i know that she loves us. i know that she is sorry and she almost lost out on something great with us. i know that she is learning how to be a mother-in-law like i am learning to be a wife. i know that she is trying harder than she ever thought she would try.

i know mom.

i know.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey this is very sweet. She must be way proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww. This is so touching.
Kim G.

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful!
-Tarah K

R-becca said...

I LOVE this post.